Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Word on Banana Bread


Ahhhh the scent of freshly baked banana bread!


If that phrase and image didn't send you into an "ahhhh" moment I need to know what does. If you haven't guessed I am baking some banana muffins at the mo, and I sit here writing for two reasons: the first being to occupy myself until the little bundles of sweet, steamy love have completed the baking process, and the second being that the scent got me to think about other "simple pleasure's" in life.

Since scent is a very power stimuli for mammals, our memories are often first triggered by smells - both good and bad. I am trying to think about other great smells that send me on a voyage through my memories, here's what I've got so far:

- the scent of lilac's make me think of my mom doing yard work in our backyard (I'm sure this may not be the most pleasant memory for her to recount but it makes me think of summer, home, her, and those things make me smile)

- the smell of honeysuckle's remind me of walking home from elementary school with my sister Megan - we would stop and pick off some of the suckles and savour their little pockets of nectar!

- wet canola fields remind me of my dad, actually my entire family, and send me into hysterical laughter every time I smell it (inside joke)!

So I want to know, what scent are your favourite memories or what are your favourite "simple pleasure's"?!

No comments:

Post a Comment