Thursday, November 17, 2011

The project begins!

Last week I wrote that I would challenge myself to really uncover how I would like to earn my future living...this week I will begin the process of peelin' that onion! ....hmmm cheesy segway into my first thing that I would like my future to hold (looking for a better term than "thing")

Agriculture:
For the past few years I have really immersed myself in agricultural issues. I have somewhere along the line been drawn towards the path from which both sides of my family stem - farming. While I was born into a farming family, we exchanged rural life for urban life when I was very young. I didn't grow up on the farm and am thus lacking a vast amount of farming skills and knowledge.



So why do I want to do something with farming if I don't know how to farm?

True, I have no idea how to run a tractor (though I am experienced at sleeping on the floor of one by dad's feet), but nor do I want to. I am looking at farming on a different scale; on a local, small, and urban scale. Backyard farming, community gardens, Small Plot INtensive (SPIN) farming, and permaculture.

I have always been really connected to my food. So understanding the system it comes from is important to me. While hot topics in agriculture are focussing on how to feed the world population, I believe we should also be focusing on how to feed the world WELL. It's about quality, and knowing where you food has been and how it has been produced (with love?!)

So there it is...something my future MUST contain is an active role in agriculture! While it may or may not become my professional role, I won't be satisfied with a life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment