Friday, October 14, 2011

Reflection leads to appreciation

To start this off again, I suppose I need to account for all of the great things that have happened in the last year. It's funny how we always think nothing much happens each day...but when you look back on it, things really seem to accumulate. This is what life is made of and I feel really grateful for the life I have. Reflection always leads me toward appreciation.

Last summer (and a few posts to the south of us) I took a course on Permaculture. Since then my mind has been really honed in on urban agriculture and social improvement. I completed my fourth year at U of Saskatchewan where I got to do a fourth year project with the Ministry of Environment, designing a forest management plan for the Island Forests of Northern Saskatchewan; and then I got my dream summer job as a tech assistant with the Saskatchewan Watershed Authority, where got to assess environmental projects and learn more about watershed protection and planning... oh and Andrew and I skipped off for a little trip to Costa Rica somewhere in there too!

Rooted (the environmental club I head) also had a busy year - we held a free, 3 session, crash course on permaculture in Saskatoon and completed 5 backyard conversions in the city. That means 5 households are now producing much of their own foods (some even have chickens now to produce their own eggs!), and are focused on implementing a no-waste/closed loop lifestyle!

**Pictures to follow**

And this leads me to where I am today. Today I am sitting in the big old brown chair in my lovely little basement suite, across the park from the University of Guelph (Ontario). I found my way here after being drawn to this city's progressive policies and engaged student body - both of which I love. Guelph is a beuatiful little city and is really homey. Even though I finish school in December, I hope to make my way back to Guelph again...

But come January, I will be off again!
A few months living in Rome will be a great way to finish off my degree! I plan to take a language course, hopefully get a little job, and eat a LOT of pizza =) those are some good goals. I also plan to continue trying to figure out what I am to do with myself afterward... there is a lot to be lost in at the moment but one thing gets me by -- It always works out in the end.

Well, that was a lot of reading and a lot of writing but next time we can start from a more recent point.

Take care...errr, I mean, CIAO!

x


1 comment:

  1. Your stories always amaze me, Micki! I admire your passion for what you believe in, and your willingness to do whatever it takes (whether that means moving to weyburn or guelph) to make it happen. You don't let obstacles stand in your way, and I love that about you. You truly make the world a better place :)

    Ciao Bella!

    ReplyDelete