Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting Squashed

We had a butternut squash kickin' around so I figured we should get it gone. Since it went so well with pasta last time I wanted to have it with some whole wheat spaghetti. I found a recipe on allrecipes last week called Pasta e Olio which sounded nice and simple so I based tonight's dinner off of that.

I started by quartering the butternut (I kept the skin on for more fibre) and placing it in a casserol dish along with some smashed garlic and a drizzle of olive oil. Oh ya, I also decided to keep the seeds and toast them in the dish too. Seeds are usually very tasty so I try not to throw them out when I cook. The squash took about an hour at 375 degrees.

Next I put a few tbs olive oil in a frying pan and sauteed a lot of garlic and one onion on low heat for about 15 minutes (until the garlic is golden). I threw in some basil that I had dried a few weeks ago, salt, and pepper.

While that was all cooking I sliced some fresh spinach leaves and diced a tomato. I wanted to add some freshness to this dish so after I mixed the onions, garlic, and oil onto the pasta, I threw in the spinach and tomato and let them sit for a few minutes - just until wilted a bit.

This was a filling (I'm still full 2 hours later), healthy, vegetarian meal. I'm trying to cut back on my meat intake - so is Andrew...unknowingly! 
My Turkish soup and Olive Biscotti
Also, I told Jana I would post my Turkish lentil soup. I got the recipe from Gurur - my Turkish friend who works with me at the cafe. This is what she wrote down and told me to do...or my interpretation of it:
  • 1 C red lentils
  • 1 potato
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot
  • some oil
  • some chicken stock
  • some water
  • 1 spoon of tomato paste
Ok now she said to cook the lentils separate from the carrot, onion, and potato (softened in some water and oil). Next blend until smooth-ish texture with a hand blender or else let cool and throw in the stand-up blender (I did neither). Lastly combine everything into one pot and simmer until everything is fully cooked in chicken stock (I used about 4 cups of chicken stock but added more water still).

Note: Turkish Red Lentil Soup is meant to be thicker consistency. It's easiest to keep it fairly thick and add a bit of water before you eat it. When you eat it be sure to add a nice amount of good olive oil, parsley, and paprika (Hungarian is the best). Without the garnish the soup is very plain - this is the Turkish way; subtle flavours and a punchline of garnish! ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment