Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bundles of Joy

I picked up some ground beef at The Healthy Butcher and made some meatballs. They were really great, Andrew liked them even though he questioned one of the ingredient..which turned out to be the greatest addition to these lovely little balls! I didn't measure anything so these are all approximate but here you go:
Oat-meat Balls!
1lb              lean ground beef
1                egg
1/2 tsp       cinnamon
2                cloves of garlic
                  salt and pepper
1/4 C         chopped onion
1/4 C         oatmeal....yes oatmeal! 

I added the oatmeal because I only used 1/2 lb of meat and with the whole egg it was too wet. I used the oatmeal to absorb some moisture, but it ended up adding to the texture and flavour. I will always use oatmeal in my meatballs from now on.

They aren't photogenic...but they are Deeelisssh!

I used fresh basil and oregano for a classic contrast with the cinnamon, but another great idea would be a citrus one with some lemon, crushed fennel, and more pepper. Mmmm....those will be my next meatballs!

No comments:

Post a Comment