Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cakes and Cookies!

Wow what a great Saturday! Even though my stomach has been lashing out at me all day (possibly because of all of the red bull I was force fed last night) I still made sure to try some treats today.

I met up with Andrew's friend from work Amelie, and we walked far west on Queen St until we reached Dufflet - a little gourmet cakery. Amelie said it was the real life equivalent to the cheesecake that Monica and Rachel receive by mail in that one Friends ep. The second you walk in your taste buds just know they've hit the jackpot. I was trying my best not to drool and stare. Failed.

I had the daily special Banana Cream Cake. It was a four layer cake of banana bread and butter cream frosting with candied banana chips on top and roasted shaved coconut down the side. Really great, but really huge! Even their cheesecake portions are large, and for a decent price too. Let me just say I'm glad it's a half hour walk from me because a little activity is definitely necessary after a visit!

I've been worse than Jana for taking photo's though so I have no evidence of my taste of heaven. Sorry. I guess that means I will have to have a redo? Ok. If you insist.

After I got home, it was time to start making dinner. Andrew made pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup)! It was so great - I think he is the best pho chef ever. Pho real.

Then Andrew asked me to bake some oatmeal cookies. With our half-stocked kitchen I decided to do some recipe research for oatmeal cookies that don't require brown sugar, butter, or shortening. It was no easy feat but finally came across a conversion from a traditional recipe to a vegan recipe...but as I can't follow a recipe to save my life...I adjusted it for our needs. Then as I was baking them...further adjusted it. They turned out phenomenal - Andrew has had thirds which is rare for him. I took that as a compliment. =P Here is my new recipe:

Our Butter-Free Oatmeal Cookies
2 C        Rolled oats
1 C        Flour
1tsp       Baking powder
1/2 tsp   Salt
1-2 tsp  Cinnamon (we like a lot of cinn)
1/4 C     Sugar
1/3 C    Canola oil
1 tbs     Runny honey
2           Eggs
1/2 C    Raisins (or more)

  • To start off combine the canola oil and eggs in a small bowl. Once emulsified, add the raisins and let soak. If you have vanilla add it to this mixture. If not, don't worry ours tasted vanilla-y anyway!
  • Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well for the egg and raisin soak. Add the honey to the well too!
  • Mix together - add more oil if necessary , but the batter should be more of a rough dough than a traditional oatmeal cookie batter. (See pic)
  • Bake @ 350 degrees C for 10 minutes. 
 
This should be the consistency of the batter

Impatiently waiting!!

Our little nuggets of cinnamon raisin goodness!

I hope those work for you. I like cooking with canola oil rather than butter and margarine because then I don't have to have the trans vs saturated fat's debate. Canola oil is the right kind of fat, and tastes great (in my opinion!). Bon apetit mes amies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment