Monday, February 1, 2010

Toronto Times

I have officially been in Toronto for one week and one day...and one second. It has been a good week overall, filled to the brim with exciting experiences as well as some fish out of water moments - namely when I spotted an actress from my favorite TV series Being Erica. I never thought I was the type to get in a knot over a celebrity...

Over the past week I have probably walked 100 kilometers. I may be exaggerating a teensy bit - give or take 1 or 2 k. But seriously...a lot of walking. It feels great to be able to walk anywhere in the middle of winter. Definitely not a common Saskatchewan winter activity. I feel like I've learned a lot about our surrounding area (primarily Queen St) but the next few weeks I'm going to try to explore more of the city.

Thus far we have only eaten out 4 times: We have made a stop at an all you can eat sushi bar after a quick trip to the Eaton's Centre; went over to our neighbour's for my birthday dinner - by neighbour I mean Ematei an authentic Japanese restaurant; to Mildrid's Temple Kitchen in the Liberty Village area for brunch on Saturday; and finally, for dim sum at Rols Sun in Chinatown on Sunday. Now that I write it all down I can see that we've done pretty well at getting a good variety of foods into our diet!

Andrew and I watch loads of the Food Network (I can hear my dad groaning painfully at this) and have wanted to take up cooking classes for quite a while. Saturday, while we walked home from Liberty Village to burn off the those tasty calories that the French food so generously gifted us, and came across a kitchen ware store that also holds cooking classes. We really want to take some lessons but the cost of them has turned cooking suddenly from a chore into a luxury. Until I find a job, Andrew has suggested that I try teaching myself how to cook. I think this is a good way for me to keep my A.D.D. under wraps while he is at work, and while I am getting familiarized with Toronto and it's classified ad's.

Tonight I'm going to start simple with some homemade tortillas.
I have found read around, and this is how I will alter the staple tortilla recipe:
1 1/2 C  Flour
1/2 C     Ground flax meal
1/2 tsp   Salt
1 tsp      Baking powder
1 tbsp    Butter (or in our case Andrew's new BFF I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!)
3/4 C     Warm water


I'll post pics tonight!

Ok so here is what became of my "tortillas" - Since we are rolling pin free here, they turned into tostadas.
 We topped them with grilled pork strips, re-fried beans, grilled corn and onions, tomato, lettuce and plain yogurt. Paired with wild and jasmine rice, it was a decent impromptu Mexican night in!

No comments:

Post a Comment